"One of the greatest things in human life is the ability to make plans. Even if they never come true - the joy of anticipation is irrevocably yours. That way one can live many more than just one life."

Maria Trapp-The Story of the Trapp Family Singers - Ch. 12 p. 4

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”

- St. Augustine

Monday, May 16, 2011

Highlights from today

Since my last post, I've been able to check off several of my "want to's" for our Ireland trip - 
  • Listened to live Irish music
  • Walked the ramparts of a medieval castle
  • Climbed the tower of a medieval castle
  • Drove tiny backroads to find amazing view



Doug checked off a few things I'd NEVER do, Ireland or otherwise...
  • Ate something used for making pee! (Steak & Kidney Pie - yuck!)
  • Slept in the car while someone else was driving on the wrong side of the road (After a couple days, I feel pretty comfortable driving, but I'm not sure I could sleep while somebody else was driving!)
  • Sped around a blind corner to get the "feel" of driving in Ireland on video for the kids (footage to come)
Anywho...

Unfortunately, today also held our first disappointment on our trip. We apparently aren't the only ones to be traveling in Ireland this week.  Who knew?! The Queen of England decided to make her first trip to the Republic since Irish independence and is arriving tomorrow. She must've heard May is a good time to go? 

Everyone seems to think her trip takes precedence over mine (weird, huh?) and half the country is shut down to tourists. We got out of Dublin while the getting was good as traffic is being diverted, all the big sites are closed and things are generally crazy. It's really only affected us in that one of the main sites I wanted to see and tour was planned for today - The Rock of Cashel - and when we arrived we found it closed and surrounded by Garda (police). I was pretty disappointed. However, I decided it was churlish to be grumpy about one disappointment when I have all this wonderful spread out before me and we managed to have wonderful day anyway. 

Cahir Castle was grand because they let you climb all over it and go up in all the places that are usually roped off at these kinds of sites. I hope to put together some pictures and video when we get home. 

The best part of our day, though, was our impromptu picnic on the side of a stone bridge halfway up the mountain to see "The Vee" viewpoint. :)



Off to stay in a castle tomorrow! - Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment