"One of the greatest things in human life is the ability to make plans. Even if they never come true - the joy of anticipation is irrevocably yours. That way one can live many more than just one life."

Maria Trapp-The Story of the Trapp Family Singers - Ch. 12 p. 4

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”

- St. Augustine

Friday, February 11, 2011

Whew!

Well, it's been an interesting week....

After discovering that some of the places I had on our itinerary were already booked for May, I had a minor panic attack. I better figure this itinerary thing out and make some reservations quick!

Grace asked me last night what I was working on lately - every time she sees me I'm on the computer. She, of course, assumed I was doing something important and productive, like the writing project I'm supposed to be finishing for Doorposts. 

Nah.

I've been madly rearranging little boxes on my itinerary
over and
over and
over 
again.

Right now, to tell you the truth,  I kinda hate the sight of those little boxes.
I think I've looked at about half a million TripAdvisor reviews in the past 5 days for  what at least feels like hundreds of Irish B&B's and hotels. I've spent probably more time than I care to calculate on the Irish version of Google maps (AA Route Planner: Routes, maps and directions - The AA ) trying to figure out how NOT to spend the entire trip in the car driving to the next hotel. I've made at least 5 completely different itineraries. I almost threw my new computer across the room once.

I really don't like it when my schedule doesn't fit. Yes, I have issues.

I know, I know - everyone's life should be so hard that which estate in Ireland to stay at is what there is to stress about. Don't worry the whining is coming to an end. You'll all be relieved to know I survived, as did my computer, and late Wednesday night I had a breakthrough. I came to terms yet again in life with the cold, ugly fact that I can't actually have everything I want. Shocking, isn't it? I bit the the bullet and cut a few things out of The Plan and suddenly everything fell into place much more smoothly. I wish I had done that a few tantrums sooner. :)
The reservations aren't all finalized, but I think we finally have The Itinerary for our trip. We scaled down the staying in a castle part - $900 for two nights was just a little to rich for our blood - and I chose a "lesser" castle for just one night, but in a deluxe suite. Fewer celebrities, more flexibility. We also are going to see some of the sights within reach of Dublin as a day trip from there, rather than an overnight excursion.

This itinerary includes all our "must sees" and has us staying at least 2 nights at every stop except one. I've been advised this makes for a much more pleasant way to enjoy Ireland than rushing off to a new town every night. It also has a nice mixture of luxurious treats and local coziness when it comes to where we're staying. All around, I'm starting to feel rather pleased with myself. Aren't you?

If your not sick and tired of hearing about someone else's vacation yet, you can take a look at the Itinerary tab above to see the latest edition of my Irish masterpiece - little boxes and all. I even put in links to our lodgings. Aren't I just special?

No comments:

Post a Comment