"One of the greatest things in human life is the ability to make plans. Even if they never come true - the joy of anticipation is irrevocably yours. That way one can live many more than just one life."

Maria Trapp-The Story of the Trapp Family Singers - Ch. 12 p. 4

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”

- St. Augustine

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Doug & Amy in Ireland

Welcome to our Ireland travel blog!

Through the generosity of a friend (a story we'll get to later), Doug and I have the opportunity to visit Ireland sometime soon. For various reasons, we may go soon -in about 9 months- or a bit later -as much as 21 months from now- (also to be explained later). If you know anything about me at all, you won't be surprised to find me planning our trip already. Travel is a cherished luxury for Doug and I. We love it, but can't very often allot money towards it. So, we eagerly anticipate every opportunity that comes our way and plan every penny of travel money we receive or save. This means I like to make the most of every moment of a trip.

Enter the travel blog.

I did a travel blog for the birthday trip I took Grace on a few years ago and several people let me know they enjoyed following our trip. Friends and family can participate in our fun through day-by-day posts while we're away and up-to-date photos.

Hopefully, this blog will do a little more. I'm starting it SO early, so that it can be a place for me to keep track of our plans, mark websites I'll be using, and share all the little travel planning tidbits we come across along the way. Writing notes and posts on the various pages you'll find here will help me carefully think through making the most of the gift that makes our trip possible.


At the top of the "posts" section of this blog is one of my favorite quotes, given me by a dear friend years ago. It expresses for me why I like to plan things so much. I'm sure there's more than a little of a control-freak in me, but along with that is greater joy a gift or project or event brings in the anticipation of it. Spending time planning our trip and sharing it on a blog allows me to anticipate our Ireland trip and thus savor the pleasure of it all along the way, rather than only experiencing the days we'll actually be traveling.

Our God is a God of good gifts and anticipated joys. These parts of His character are appreciated in the good gifts of good friends and the forward-looking hope of making plans and anticipating coming joys. Much of what is anticipated and planned never comes to be, but the joy of the journey is still ours.

If you love travel as much as we do, want to see what I "do" to plan a trip, would like to enjoy God's goodness in gifting His people as they "one-another one another," or if you are just really bored and need another blog to read....stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment